Monday, February 4, 2013

The Addams Family

In an attempt to gain an understanding of theatre, I decided to enroll in Professor Matthew Quinn Martin's Intro to Theatre class.  This course allows students to gather knowledge of the theatre and its inner workings, something I have wanted for a long time.  The class is also intended to get students comfortable within the theatre, at shows and in them. 

Along with class work, reading and papers to be written, our class has the requirement of attending at least two plays during the semester.  With my busy schedule including baseball practice and upcoming baseball games, four online classes, one class on-site, a blogger duty, and my role as the "Voice of the Falcons" at basketball games, I thought this requirement may be tough to fulfill.  Boy was I wrong!

As an out-of-state student and a newcomer to the New Haven area, I had no grasp on all the wonderful opportunities provided to students who wanted to attend the theatre.  In my search for a live performance to attend, I stumbled upon the historic Shubert Theatre located in New Haven.  It had shows playing all year around with tickets available, but only one that I truly had to see.  This past weekend "The Addams Family" was in town at the Shubert Theatre, as they left Broadway for a country-wide tour.  The tour gives audiences from all over America the chance to get the "Broadway-experience" without the impossibly expensive trip into New York City. 

I purchased two tickets for the show at $12 a piece and decided to make my "class requirement" into a date night for my girlfriend and I.  We absolutely loved the show, as the cast and the surrounding theatre came together for the perfect combination.  The play encompassed some updated quips about today's pop culture stars, and even had a hilarious joke worked into a song that attacked Charlie Sheen. 

The theatre is just 2 miles away from campus, as all it takes to get there is a short drive down Whitney Road.  Students can get there by walking if they really needed to, but the Yale Shuttle, and even a taxi ride are plausible options because of the theatre's location so close to campus.  I decided to drive my girlfriend and I to the play, and found parking next to the Shubert Theatre in the Crown Street Garage for a flat rate of $8. 

After the show my I took my girlfriend out for a late night meal at the Acroplis Diner in Hamden, so we could unwind, and eat some late night breakfast.  I recommend a trip to the Shubert Theatre for any guy looking to take his girlfriend out for a night on the town.  Its an inexpensive alternative to a trip to Broadway, that gives the audience and most importantly your girlfriend, the same thrills for a quarter of the price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment