Thursday, April 11, 2013

Big Win

In my first official start of the 2013 baseball season for your Falcons, I earned my first win of the season, and the 16th of my collegiate career.  Just having the opportunity to play college baseball is enough for me, but to look back on 16 career wins, makes my four year experience even better. 

Tuesday night at Quigley Stadium, I took the hill against Mt. St. Mary's College (NY), in a nine-inning contest.  After a 1-2-3 top of the 1st, our offense managed to push across two runs, handing me an early 2-0 lead.  We would maintain our lead till the 5th inning, when things got a bit shaky.  I allowed the first two batters to reach on singles to start the fifth, then hit the third batter with a knuckleball to load the bases, with no one out.  We were leading 5-2 at the time, and I knew I couldn't let the inning get out of hand.  With a first pitch 2-seam fastball, I was able to induce a huge, 4-6-3 double play.  With a runner now on third and 2 outs, a great sequence of fastball, changeup, fastball, was able to earn a strikeout to get out of the jam with a 5-3 lead still in tact. 

Moment seemed to swing in out favor immediately following that huge escape, as our offense took over scoring 12 runs over the next three innings.  I would eventually leave the game in the 8th inning with 2 outs and a wonderful 14-3 lead!  Senior relief pitcher Richard "Ricky Ross" McLain, would close out the win for me as the final score was 17-5. 

In case you were wondering, there is nothing better than pitching with the immense run support I received on Tuesday night.  It not only takes pressure off the pitcher on the mound, but it allows me to throw nothing but strikes, lowering my pitch count, and speeding up the game.  A big thanks goes out to my fellow Falcons on offense, as well as junior first baseman Zak Sokolis and freshman outfielder Tyler Graziano who made a couple outstanding plays on defense. 

In addition to great offense and defense, came the wonderful work behind the plate by my "battery mate" Arber Mehmedi.  With pitching coach BJ Senna unable to make the game, we were left to call the pitches ourselves, and Arber did an impeccable job, as I only had to shake him off once (which is when a pitcher disagrees with a pitch call and asks for another).  The huge win also came on Arber's birthday, as there is no better way to celebrate a birthday then with a blowout win.

Be at Quigley Stadium on Saturday at 1PM as the Falcons will celebrate their Senior Day, and take on conference rival, and nationally ranked, St. Joe's College (Maine).


No comments:

Post a Comment