Thursday, April 18, 2013

Senior Day

So after 20 years of my life spent, playing the game of baseball, my college "Senior Day" was Monday.  This was a bitter sweet day, as my mother was able to make it up from New Jersey for the big day, but the day also meant my college baseball career is coming to a close.  I have had the honor of playing with some great baseball teams throughout my lifetime at all different levels, and I'm very proud to have called myself a Falcon for the past two seasons.

In between a doubleheader with St. Joe's Maine, our five seniors were recognized for their accomplishments on and off the field.  Allan "BigAl" Matthieu was the first senior honored, as he has been the team's public address announcer for the past four seasons.  He is a staple at all Falcon's home games and has been a huge part of the success of the baseball program.

Next to be honored was senior relief pitcher Richard McLain, or as the baseball team knows him, "Ricky Ross."  Ricky has been a leader on and off the field for the program, and is always a solid lefty option out of the pen.

Dan "Sunshine" Kmiechick (wait that's me), was then announced by coach Brian Leighton.  I burst out of the dugout and immediately gave a chest bump to right fielder Anthony Pellegrino, to announce my presence with authority.  As a captain my senior year I have been able to pitch to a 2-0 record on the hill, which has brought my career win total to 17.

Center fielder Rob "Mozz" "Gamby" Gambardella was the next senior to be honored, as he has spent the past four seasons patrolling the outfield for the Falcons.  He recently smacked his 100th career hit in a game at Western Connecticut State last week.  He is another captain on the Falcons squad, and has played a large leadership role for the team his past two seasons.

The final senior honored was two-time captain and one-time Joel Hanrahan look-a-like contest winner, Matt "Fink" Finkenzeller.  Fink has been a captain the last two years, and a staple in the Falcon pitching staff the past four.  He has had a wonderful career playing at Albertus and has been a stabling force in the clubhouse this season.

It was truly an honor playing at Albertus for the past two seasons, and I was very proud to celebrate my senior day beside such great ballplayers and people.  Senior Day may spell the end of a baseball playing career, but graduation will just be a beginning to a whole new exciting chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment