Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Colum-busy Day

(Photo Taken By Leyna Andren '14)
After a relaxing weekend spent at my home in New Jersey, I made my way back to Albertus Magnus College for a Columbus Day filled with athletic events. As an intern for the Athletic Department I have had many busy days, but none have been as busy as Columbus Day.
Every fall sports team at Albertus played a home match except for the cross country teams. Women’s tennis was edged out by the University of St. Joseph’s Connecticut in a hard fought match. At the same time men’s and women’s soccer took on the Rams of Suffolk University and pulled out huge conference victories in both games.
While huge soccer victories were being earned on the beautiful Albertus soccer turf field, I was down in the gym working as a Public Address Announcer for a women’s volleyball Tri-Match. The Tri-Match featured the Blue Jays of the University of St. Joseph’s Connecticut, the Rams of Suffolk University and of course your Albertus Magnus College Falcons! The Tri-Match represented the Falcons final two home games on the year and was designated as “Senior Day” for the Falcons’ three graduating seniors.
The Falcons won their first match handedly by a score of 3-1 over the Rams of Suffolk University and improved to 8-7 on the year. Prior to their second game was a celebration of all the career accomplishments of the Falcons’ graduating seniors, Krista LaBissoniere, Maritza Rosemond, and Emily Matousek. As part of my internship I was allowed to craft the bios for the three outstanding athletes, a task I was honored to perform. While researching information and statistics for the bios, I found some outstanding accomplishments from the seniors that I made sure to highlight. Statistics like Emily Matousek’s 20 kills on the season, Maritza Rosemond’s team-leading 168 assists on the season, and Krista LaBissoniere’s 78 career matches played and 794 career digs!
After the pageantry of the pre-game ceremony, I was back on the microphone announcing the Falcons’ starting lineups like I have for every other home game. The Falcons took the floor for their final home match of the 2012 season with the crowd louder than it had been all year. The Falcons went on to earn a win in a thrilling 5 set match, winning by a close 3-2 margin.
Congratulations to the graduating seniors as well as the rest of the women’s volleyball team on a great season so far, and good luck the rest of the way!
After my busy Columbus Day of sporting events, comes somewhat of a lag in scheduling. The next Falcons home event is a men’s soccer contest against Newbury College on Thursday October, 18th at 3:30 PM. I expect everyone to be out in full support of the Falcons, and remember what I say prior to every women’s volleyball match, “Be Loud, Be Proud, Be Positive!”

No comments:

Post a Comment