Monday, October 22, 2012

What a Weekend!!!

To say my weekend was a busy one, would be a severe understatement.  Of course as all you Falcon faithful know, this was Fall Fest weekend on campus, the most exciting weekend of the year.  Friday night started with a bang as students filled the Falcons' Nest for Albertus Madness.  Last year, I found myself as a spectator at Albertus Madness, watching all the excitement from the stands; this year was a whole different story.
As an intern for the athletic department, I found myself on the other side of Albertus Madness this year.  Kristen DeCarli gave me the duty of being the DJ for the event, in charge of music and entertainment throughout the night. I did my best to not disappoint, and in the process earned the title of DJ Sunshine.  Prior to the dance competition, which is held each year at Albertus Madness, I was able to showcase some of my moves, and give the dancers a few pointers on how to "really" dance.  I made sure to show off my signature dance move, aptly named "The Sunshine" by my fellow baseball players who witnessed the masterpiece last season.  The crowd loved it, and my demonstration turned out to be one of the loudest moments of the night, getting the fans riled up prior to announcing the men's and women's basketball teams onto the court.  The night was filled with fun, excitement, and prize giveaways for all the students in attendance and ended with the raising of the men's basketball team's 2011-2012 GNAC Championship banner in the Albertus gym.
Fall Fest was on Saturday, and featured two majorly important soccer matches, one for the women's team and one for the men's soccer team.  Both teams took on Emmanuel College and celebrated their senior day, as the season is coming to a close.  I wrote the scripts for both the men's and women's senior day, crafting a summary of all the outstanding accomplishments the seniors had achieved over their careers as Falcons.  It was fun to hear my writing articulated to all the players, fans, students, faculty, alumni and prospective students at Fall Fest, and I loved the seeing how much the seniors enjoyed what was being read about them.  The women's team lost a heartbreaker 1-0 to Emmanuel in the first game of the day, in which junior Shelly Mirmins hit the post with shots twice in the first half, barely missing goals.  The men dominated Emmanuel in the second game of the day as senior captain Stephen Zapata led them to a 3-1 victory.  Although I did not get a chance to participate in the event side of Fall Fest, the athletics side of the day was exciting, with nonstop soccer action throughout the day.
Sunday I got a chance to unwind from all the festivities of the Fall Fest weekend, at Metlife Stadium, home of the New York Giants.  Although the stadium is located in New Jersey, the ride from New Haven is not bad at all, taking around two hours.  The game went great, with my favorite team the New York Giants beating the Washington Redskins on a 70 plus yard touchdown pass with less than a minute to go in the contest. 
This weekend had to be the best busy weekend I have had in a very long time, and Fall Fest weekend is a prime example of what makes Albertus Magnus College so great.   

No comments:

Post a Comment