Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Intern

Many students have preconceived notions of internships, most airing on the negative side. These negative thoughts entered my mind in all kinds of ways as I searched for an internship for the fall semester. My worries were soon put to rest as I was granted an internship right here on campus, working alongside Sports Information Director Kristen DeCarli in the Albertus Magnus College Athletic Department.
As a Sports Communications major I have aspirations of one day finding myself in sports broadcasting or working as a Sports Information Director at a university. Just a month into my time working alongside Kristen, I can already see myself being swayed towards becoming an SID. The hours are long and the work can be tedious at times, but my love of sports triumphs over any negatives that may come with the career.
Just weeks into my internship I have already found myself earning work experience and tasks to perform that many may never get to experience at off campus locations. I have written game recaps for all types of Albertus sporting events, learned the ins and outs of event set up and preparation, worked as a scoreboard operator and stat keeper for games, and have even earned the role of Public Address Announcer for all Albertus women’s volleyball games. My resume is growing more and more every day on the job and there is still months left in my internship.
This internship has been an opportunity like no other and is setting me up to be an exceptional candidate for any jobs within the sports communications realm in the future. I cannot stress enough how important getting the right internship is, and for many students the perfect internship may be right here on the Albertus Magnus campus. In addition to the wonderful environment an Albertus internship provides, is the wonderful commute, as all on campus internships are just a walk away, or a short drive for commuters.
By the way, keep an eye out for the release of both the men’s and women’s 2012-2013 basketball schedules which will be happening in the upcoming weeks. The releases will be accompanied by write-ups crafted by yours truly describing all this season has to offer and this year’s must see match-ups. GO FALCONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment